Tuesday 28 May 2013

Finally Here!

Yesterday was my last day in Minneapolis. My aunt and uncle were planning a Memorial Day gathering that night so I got to help them prepare by chopping sweet peppers really slowly. I think I went so slow that they decided not to give me any more jobs. I wasn't being slow on purpose I just didn't want to cut my figures off! After that my uncle let me drive to the grocery store. I only have my learners license and this was about my fifth time driving. I did fairly well until he made me go unto the freeway. A couple of times when I shoulder checked I almost changed lanes simultaneously making my uncle scream or squeal  At one my cousin came and got me and we went for a walk around one of the many lakes in Minnesota. We then proceeded to have delicious ice cream at Sebastian Joe's. I had the chocolate raspberry one! That night we had the gathering. It was meant to be a barbecue, but it was raining a bit. I had a very nice time in Minneapolis and can't wait to go back sometime.

This morning my uncle drove me to the airport at 5:45 so that I could catch my 7:30 flight. I obviously safely made it there and to my housing that is provided by Washington Internship Student Housing (WISH). When you go out my front door the Folgers Shakespeare Library is write across the street and the Capitol building is right down the street.


My room isn't very big, but it's bigger then I thought it would be!

After I got my room kind of organized I went to finish some paper work and then went exploring. My first stop was the Enid A. Haupt Garden. This garden has three separate parts. One part is a granite sphere surrounded by water made black from black granite. This is based off of a grave site in China. The next one was based off of a French garden. So it had elaborate designs made with flowers and hedges. The last one was a fountain garden where of course a fountain was the centerpiece. The fountain garden was having work done on it so I couldn't really see it. However, next to the garden there was a giant triangle made of brass or some sort of metal. These gardens were behind the Castle/Smithsonian Information Center.








I then proceeded into the Castle. There isn't much inside other then a information desk, a gift shop and a cafe. There are two wings that usually contain objects, but one is closed for repairs/renovations. The one I did get to go in had some interesting old books of cartoons. It also had an old camera that was HUGE! I didn't spend much more time at the Smithsonian today because it has been a long day!

Later in the day I went on a trip to buy a pillow from a Bed Bath and Beyond and I can happily say I was successful! Earlier in the day I had bought an all day Metro pass to get into the city from the Ronald Reagan Airport and I was to lazy to carry my bag containing my pillow and blankets home from the store, so I used my handy dandy Metro card to get me home! I would highly recommend in investing in something like that if you plan to use Metro a lot in a day. I found it very convenient.

I was lazy for supper and had packaged ravioli and iced tea. I probably won't often post about what I have for supper because it isn't that interesting to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment