Thursday 11 July 2013

Part one: Sunday, Monday, Beer

After the Holocaust Museum and feeling depressed Saturday my friend and I decided to go to Georgetown Sunday. Georgetown is an older neighbourhood in Washington.  It was really pretty! The buildings looked old and well taken care of. It was only two blocks from the river, so I finally saw the Potomac river. We went to the oldest house in Washington the Old Stone House. It was built in 1765 and there is folklore surrounding the house saying that President George Washington and Pierre Charles L'Enfant used it as a base, which isn't true. We went to this really nice and cute french sandwich shop and tea house for lunch called Paul. It was very pretty inside and had a nice view of the outside! The bread of my sandwich was delicious and it had olives baked into it! It was yummy! Even though Georgetown is a shopping district I only bought one thing when I was down there! I can't say what it is because it's part of my mom birthday present and she reads my blog, but let me tell you it was awesomely amazing! I didn't buy anything else because everything was so expensive! The cheapest dress I saw was 150ish $! I couldn't believe it! I definitely won't go back there to shop, but maybe to stroll around the streets and along the river where they have kayaking which I want to try!



They have a canal!

The Potomac!


Monday was a pretty important day for us Space History Interns. It was our turn to present at the Brown Bag lunch. Every Monday all the Air and Space Museum interns gather at lunch and a some people present on who they are and what they are doing at the museum. Now, my group had been planning our part for weeks! We wanted to be the best and I can for sure say that we were! We dressed up all fancy. All the guys wore bow ties and the girls wore dresses. We all then wore suit jackets to look uniform. Our presentation was awesome! In it we defined what space was and was not and then we each had two slides introducing ourselves and what we were doing. We made the other interns and our supervisors who had come down to cheer us on laugh a lot and actually pay attention for once. We were huge keeners and even took questions at the end. It was mostly our supervisors who had questions, but it was still fun and made us feel quite professional and like we did a good job!


Tuesday was almost a normal day. In the morning I went to a talk about trees in DC and urban forests with my male supervisor. It was interesting, but there were so many numbers and things that I didn't understand that I almost fell asleep! At lunch us interns went to Space History's Tuesday movie. We watched a TV pilot from 1959 called Destination Space. It was really cheesy and predictable. There's a reason that no one picked it up! After work us Space History Interns along with four other interns went out for drinks at Kelly's Irish Tavern or something like that. Not wanting to feel out of place I ordered a beer called Harp. It went down way to easily. I didn't really like it and it tasted like nothing, but I learned that I'm a light weight and don't have a high alcohol tolerance for after that one drink things were swimming! I followed that beer with almost an entire pitcher of water and that seemed to help. However, at one point I had to get up to use the washroom and I went inside, because we were sitting outside, and there was a little slope down in the entrance and I almost fell on my face! No more drinking for me!  I left there pretty early along with most of the group because I had to wake up at 3:30 am to catch the bus to go to New York City!

3 comments:

  1. I like how the Canadian stands out with her snow white jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some interns complain about how they're used as unpaid labour, but you seem to be hardly working at all. Movies, festivals, beer, but no work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, that comment was from Craig, not Mark.

    ReplyDelete