Tuesday 2 July 2013

Part One: Soaked, Postal Museum and Shakespeare!

Friday I was all alone! My supervisor had left me to my own devices. Don't worry! I finished all of my research that day no problem. However, I did fill my day with some fun activities. First I got to take a really long lunch, two hours, and go to the Canadian Embassy. The security guard was scary and was questioning me quite thoroughly about why I was there until I showed him my Albertan drivers license and then his whole attitude changed. I went to the Embassy to ask if they were doing anything for Canada Day. It turns out they were, but it was by invitation only!After that I went to the National Gallery of Art the east building. I went through that building in about an hour. I really don't get modern art! In the afternoon the other Space History interns and I went to the IMax "To Fly!" It was made in the 1980's and you could tell. However, it was still really cool! I did get a little nauseous with all the swooping and landscapes. I left work at 4:30 and met up with my Canadian friend. We went on the simulators and killed three planes. I guess I can't do any better then that! We then headed out in the pouring rain to the Natural History Museum. By the time we got there I was soaked up to my knee! We wandered around the ground floor of the museum. I've seen it before, but it was more fun with someone!




After the museum we decided we wanted pizza. I told my friend about We the Pizza, so we trudged over there in the pouring rain. It was good that the pizza was delicious because we were both pretty much soaked to the bone, even with umbrellas and a poncho, by the time we got there! The weather here is an adventure in itself!

Saturday I met up with my friend and we went to the National Postal Museum. The museum isn't that big, but it was full of some interesting things! When it comes to modern day postal service there was a short film playing about how it works from mailing a letter to delivery. Th whole time really intense music was playing and everything was moving at top speed that made the film feel like a spy movie! If becoming a curator doesn't work out maybe I'll be a mailwoman! We also saw an exhibit about mail on the Titanic and Hindenburg and we got to make our own six stamp stamp collection! The museum is out of the way and smaller, so there wasn't as much people. That meant we had the opportunity to try all the hands on stuff and be silly!









We then headed towards the Eastern Market. On the way we stopped at a used book store and I found a document from 1838 about the bequest of James Smithson, the man who donated all the money to found the Smithsonian. The document is about how they were going to carry out building the Smithsonian and what should it focus on. I think it's really cool. The first thing my boyfriend asked me when I told him I bought this document was if it was fake. Even if it is fake I think it's still interesting and it only cost me 15$. By the time we finally got to the market it was super hot out. There was some eye catching stuff that we both wanted, but it was to hot to stop and buy something. After a quick go around we headed back to my place for frozen grapes which are YUMMY!!!!

Sunday was a lazy day. Bright and early at 9am I went grocery shopping with one of my roommates. When we headed out it was nice outside, but by the time we came out of Safeway it was pouring! The reason we went to Safeway instead of Trader Joe's was that Safeway had the baking ingredients I needed. One of the things I needed was custard powder. I looked and looked for it and couldn't find it. I finally asked someone who also couldn't find it. He asked someone who asked someone. By the end of it there were three employees and me looking for custard powder. After a while they gave up and told me they were probably all out. As soon as they left I looked down and there it was right on the second to bottom self!  My friend came over again, but this time we made Nanaimo Bars, which is why I bought the ingredients. We made the two bottom layers and then put it in the freezer. Before we put the melted chocolate on top we decided to go to the Folger Shakespeare Library. I live right by here and it was my first time going! They have two exhibits in there, but the most impressive thing was their theater! The theater looks like a mini-Globe theater. Now we were told that it isn't a recreation of the Globe, but it was still really fantastic!

We then returned to my place and finished the Nanaimo Bars. They ended up being a huge hit with all of my roommates and my fellow Space History interns. I might be able to convert them to Canadians through our delicious treats! There will be more about my fellow interns eating Nanaimo bars and being Canadian tomorrow. 

So tune in tomorrow for the exciting part two where Canada Day, The Smithsonian Picnic and whatever happens tomorrow will be discussed! 



 

2 comments:

  1. Are the mail boxes from different countries? I spotted Canada's.
    After seeing you in the carriage, it's a wonder that seat belts took so long to be invented.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, you do know the difference between to and too and two, right?

    ReplyDelete