Thursday 27 June 2013

Hungarian Dancing and Simulators

At work Wednesday I spent the day doing more research on Discovery's, the Space Shuttle, missions. That also carried into today and will continue tomorrow. At lunch one of the curators did a talk on Lovelace who was a scientist working on space flight in the late '50s through the '60s. This man started thinking that it might be more efficient to send women into space. Women are lighter, smaller and were thought to have a higher pain tolerance. However, his program was shut down by NASA when they learned what he was doing. After the talk another female intern and I went and explored the Smithsonian Folklife festival that started that day. We just wandered up and down the festival because we had to go back to work. We did quickly stop to see some Hungarian dancing. It was really interesting. These guys were using their bodies like drums as they jumped and danced their way around the stage! You would think it would hurt!
I returned to the festival after work with my Canadian friend. We stopped at the Indian food tent before wandering over to the Hungarian music and dance tent. We sat for almost an hour listening to Hungarian music before we decided to try to finish the American History Museum. We only had two exhibits left and 45 minutes. We were sure we would get it done, but no! We still have half an exhibit left. I think we're just going to give up! We returned to the Hungarian music tent and caught the end of some traditional dancing. It was so spectacular! I really like watching dancers because I know I could never do that!




Today at work us Space History interns went and tried out the simulators. We tried a fighter mission. I flew the plane while my fellow intern shot enemy airplanes. We only got three of them. At one point I got us stuck upside down and at a slight angle forward so that we were flying towards the ground! After some panic I was able to turn us right side up. Out of the four pair that played my team came in third!!! That sounds much better then second last. Not much else happened today. I came home and did some laundry and then Skyped with my boyfriend and then my mom.

I realized that I forgot to mention some stuff I did yesterday. I guess that means that there is going to be another forgotten story time soon! Whoops!

1 comment:

  1. There is a contest each year where doctorate students have to explain their science thesis through dance. Maybe you and your fellow interns could try something like that. Then you could try dancing, and it would be fun for the audience.

    ReplyDelete