Wednesday 12 June 2013

Stories I've forgotten to tell!

I've realized that as I've gone along writing this blog that I forget to tell the most interesting stories or things that happen to me during the day! Now there isn't that many of them and I'm sure I'll have more of these types of blogs, but here are some of the stories I've forgotten to tell!

The day I went to the National Gallery of Art I was wandering near the back of the museum and there was only a few people around. Going from one room to the next there was this security guard and me being nice said hi and he took that as an invitation to talk to me! Now he told me his job was a little boring and it was a slow day so I understand why he would want to talk to a friendly face, but he was asking me some personal questions. They weren't bad question just like what am I doing in Washington DC, where am I from, what school do I go to, what did I think of the weather, how is it in the US compared to Canada, things that you ask people when you first meet them. He seemed like a very nice guy, but everybody else around us had left and I was feeling a little awkward standing there with a complete stranger I'll never see again by myself. He told me about being a security guard and that he was going to school and wasn't really into the whole art thing, but it was a job. After about ten minutes people showed up again and I was able to slip away. Wherever I go strangers talk to me or ask me for directions. Do I have a face that says I won't murder you if you ask me something?

When my friend and I went to the Pride parade there was a car for Geico. There was a guy in a gecko suit inside the car waving a rainbow flag. It was a funny sight to see. I felt bad for the person in the suit because it was really hot out and the parade was about two hours long! Another funny float was for this restaurant. It was a Mexican restaurant and it had a guy riding a burrito wrapped in tinfoil like you ride a mechanical bull! It surprises me what people come up with! I guess as long as it's memorable it worked!


June 10th: Every Monday all the Air and Space museum interns get together for lunch to have a brow bag lunch and we do some sort of activity. This Monday we learned how to operate a fire extinguisher. They brought in this fire extinguishing game. There was a screen about the size of a fireplace opening that would show a fire. Then there was like a Wii controller inside a hose of a fake fire extinguisher. When the fire started to had to pull the pin on the fire extinguisher take the hose aim at the bottom of the fire, squeeze the handle and sweep along the bottom of the fire. Some people were terrible! One girl squeezed the handle while the hose was facing her! Good thing the extinguisher wasn't real or she would have been covered in foam! The best time of the day to put out the fire was 9.6 seconds. I tied for second with 11.1 seconds. I had the best time out of all the Space History interns and we've jokingly designated me as the person to put out fires and the leader of our group. When I got home from work there was a big bug in my room, so I opened my patio door and hid downstairs. When I came up later it was lying on my bed, so I grabbed the closest thing at hand and smacked the bug twice. I realized that I had picked up my computer to use as a weapon and I was lucky that the bug was on my bed and my computer wasn't harmed!

We're now up to speed with where we should be! The next day June 11th, my house was woken up to the fire alarms going off! I rushed out of my room ready to grab the nearest fire extinguisher because I had learned how to use one the day before and I was pretty sure in my half asleep state that I was just as good as a firefighter. It turned out to be a false alarm. Someone had just burnt eggs. However, now I know that I would be willing to fight a fire anytime! Maybe if I don't become a curator I can be a firefighter. That's close to what I wanted to be as a child which was a fire hydrant. I had to be to work early yesterday because the interns and their supervisors had breakfast with the head of the Air and Space Museum, General Jack Dailey. He gave a really nice speech about the history of the museum and what they have done and what still needs to be accomplished. He also thanked us interns for putting our time in to be there at the museum for free. It was a nice breakfast and after I was quite full on banana muffin and orange juice. After some of us interns and supervisors related to space went to the planetarium. They wanted to get our opinion on a potential show they're thinking of bringing in. It was okay. It was a little disjointed and all of us had a hard time following it. At lunch we watched the end of Destination Moon and it was cheesy as can be! If you ever watch any of those old movies I suggest watching them with a curator of space history! They have the best comments that make the movie so much more enjoyable. Maybe, to my family's horror, I'll be like that one day! After work I had a WISH dinner I had to attend. The food was fine, but the desert! I had so much desert that I still feel sick, but it was so good! There was so much that one of my roommates and I took our desert home to finish it! We did leave early, but had to come with us!

Not much happened today. I went to work and almost finished my project that was supposed to take me all week. I'll probably finish it tomorrow and then work on something else for my other supervisor. One interesting thing I did today was I got an email from my supervisor who is away asking me to check if we had a certain object. I know it doesn't sound that exciting, but I spent and hour looking. I found the answer in five minutes, but all the objects were so cool and I wanted to really make sure that I had gotten my answer right, which was no, we didn't have that object. I walked part way home today with a fellow intern. She lives more East then I do, but it was nice to walk with someone and chat and get to know them. I'm not very good with meeting and talking to people, so I'm making a real effort to make some hopefully good lifetime friends this summer. We'll see if it happens because I don't want to force anything or be someone I'm not.

No comments:

Post a Comment